Sunday, April 26, 2009

Growing Up

As a parent, I feel torn between wanting my kids to stay babies forever and wanting them to grow up quickly so I can see what they will grow into. Every day I try to enjoy them in their current phases and try not to push towards the future too much.

However, it's not really in my personality to enjoy the moment. I've always been more of a forward thinker. Back in the day my friends and I watched "Dead Poet's Society" until we had the whole thing memorized. Remember Carpe Diem? The movie made a big impression so I try.

Despite my best efforts at "seizing the day," I was getting a little anxious because Elizabeth seems to be the only one of her peers who has not lost her front teeth. Tonight one of them finally, stubbornly came out (with a little yanking, Elizabeth admitted).

I had a very strange affection for Elizabeth's front teeth. They were very tiny and positioned in a unique way that I hope I will always remember. I envision her new front teeth as being gigantic and sharp and well, adult.

Tonight I am happy and excited that Elizabeth has reached a milestone that many of her friends have already celebrated. Tomorrow I'll try to go back to enjoying the momoent but I know the whole time I'll be wondering when the other front tooth is going to finally come loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment