Thursday, May 14, 2009

I recently reconnected with a high school friend named Catherine and after a brief summary of how our lives have changed in the last 16 years, she said, “I just have to ask you. Were you on the news in Massachusetts about 9 or 10 years ago?”

Yes, Catherine, I was on the news. And it was mindboggling.

Just after my husband and I got married, we prudently decided to spend a little of our hard-earned money on a new stereo. We went to a local shop called Cambridge Sound Works, which is pretty well known in the Boston area for selling quality stereo equipment and speakers. We had done a bit of research in advance and had thought about what we were looking for. With the aid of a helpful salesperson, it didn’t take us too long to choose the equipment we were looking for.

While we were finishing the sale, we noticed that amongst the other shoppers was a television news crew. The female reporter approached me and told me that she was doing a story on how difficult it is for women to buy electronics. She asked if she could ask me a few questions.

I have looked back on that moment many times over the years, and every time I scream to my naïve and younger self, “NO! DON’T DO IT!” I don’t know what possessed me to say yes to the reporter in the first place. While I hesitate to put labels on my social and political beliefs, I might call myself a feminist. After all, in my purse was a credit card bearing my “married” name, which hasn’t changed a bit from my “maiden” name.

Why would shopping for electronics be more difficult for women? Have you ever gone shopping with a man? Typically, they’re not necessarily what I would call “browsers.” They give the products a once-over, look for one that suits their needs, and bring it to the cashier. Women shoppers tend to be all about browsing, selection, and careful decision making.

But, I did say yes to the reporter and her interrogation began. After a short time, it became very clear to both my husband and I that what she was really looking for was a quote from me saying that shopping for electronics is simply “mindboggling.”

A sample from the interview:
Reporter: So, would you say shopping for electronics is mindboggling?
Laura: Well…it can be hard to make a choice.
Reporter: Oh, you’re right. That choice can be mindboggling, wouldn’t you say?
Laura: Umm…I wouldn’t say that. It is a little daunting…you know, spending all that money.
Reporter: Definitely. If I were shopping here today, I’d definitely say it was mindboggling.
You get the drift.

The whole incident left me fuming and embarrassed. I was too ashamed to even watch the 5 o’clock news that night. Apparently Catherine did and who knows how many other thousands of Bostonians.

I was really glad to hear from Catherine again after all these years. And I’m even happier that when she saw me on the news 10 years ago, she didn’t hear me use the word “mindboggling.”

1 comment:

  1. LOL!! So sorry to bring up such a traumatic experience. It must be so mindboggling that someone would remember that 10 years later. But honestly, I don't remember a thing about the actual interview, just seeing your radiant face!

    ReplyDelete